PLEASE READ THIS POLICY CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE EARLY LEARNING & CHILD CARE REGISTRY:
Purpose for the Association’s Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
The Association is accountable for all personal information in its possession or care. The Association does not collect personal information unless you voluntarily provide it for the purpose of using the specific Services. The Association, however, does not control and is not responsible the collection, use and disclosure of information once it is provided to any Centres.
The Association is committed to providing quality support and information services to meet the child care and early years needs of families and children. In order to meet these goals, the Association collects, uses and discloses personal information for the following purposes:
- To identify the children and their families who use the Registry;
- To ensure we communicate with the appropriate parent/guardian for each child who is the subject of a registration on the Registry;
- To promote new and existing programs and services to individuals and families seeking child care in Prince Edward Island;
- To maintain the Registry and provide information on children and families requiring child care to Centres across the Province of Prince Edward Island;
- To generate statistics on Services provided by the Association;
- To generate statistics on the child care needs of families in Prince Edward Island;
- To report information and statistics to the Department of Education, Early Learning and Culture for the Province of Prince Edward Island in order to improve access to child care services;
- To maintain complete and accurate files, and to comply with all requirements and legislation of funding and licensing bodies; and
- To comply with all lawful requests of government agencies.
The Association is committed to ensuring that personal information is protected from unauthorized access, unintended disclosures or theft. This protection is provided by firewalls in the computer system, passwords to protect databases, encrypted e-mail, locked filing cabinets and limited access to certain work areas. The Association may keep personal information on file for up to eight (8) years.Disclosure of Personal Information
The Association may disclose personal information:
- To Centres to place children on waiting lists for spaces at Centres;
- To Centres to enable employees and representatives of Centres to communicate with families wishing to secure placement of a child or children at a Centre, and to provide services to the children in their care;
- To Centres within the Province of Prince Edward Island who are participating in the Registry to enable the Centres to offer spaces to children in the event that spaces become available;
- To Association staff, employees and agents;
- To the Department of Education, Early Learning and Culture for the Province of Prince Edward Island;
- To third parties for management of the Registry and processing of data (e.g. hardware and software support); and
- To comply with legal obligations imposed on the Association.
Unless required to do so by law, the Association does not currently disclose the personal information under its control to any other parties. It does not trade, sell, barter, or give away this information to anyone. Should it be necessary in the future to make such a disclosure, the Association will not do so without the express consent of the individuals involved.Consent for the Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
When families apply to any Centre(s) through the Registry, they consent to the provided personal information being forwarded to the Centre(s) and for said information being used by the Centre(s). The withdrawing of consent to the Association does not withdraw the consent to the Centre(s) and any individual shall contact each Centre directly in order to withdraw their consent to the collection, use and disclosure of information held by the Centre(s).Accurate Information
The Association makes every effort to ensure the personal information it collects, uses and discloses is as accurate and up-to-date as is required to fulfill the purposes listed above. If an individual’s personal information requires amendment, they must contact the Association to ensure that the correction is made. Individuals who provide personal information to the Association are expected to verify routinely that their information is up-to-date and accurate in order to ensure timely communication with Centres and accessibility to services.External Websites
Individuals have a right to access their own personal information in the possession and control of the Association. They also have a right to know if their information has been disclosed to any third parties. If individuals wish to access their personal information, or to express a concern or challenge relating to their personal information, they need to contact the Privacy Officer of the Association in writing at the below mailing or e-mail address. The Association reserves the right to charge a reasonable fee for the copying of this information.
The Early Childhood Development Association of Prince Edward Island Privacy Officer is:
3 Brighton Road, Office 115B
Charlottetown, PE, C1A 8T6